Sunday, March 30, 2008

For the sake of the gospel

I wrote the following article for our upcoming women's newsletter at church. Thought I'd share it with you...

One chilly, snowy day this past winter I called my mother-in-law in California. As we chatted I asked her how everything was going. “Oh my goodness,” she said, “it’s so cold here!” “What’s the temperature down there?” I asked as I stared out the window at three feet of snow. “I think it’s in the 50’s,” she replied. I smiled to myself. Later I thought how often in conversations I assume communication is happening merely because we are using the same English words. In reality, however, as I was reminded with my mother-in-law, the meanings we attach to even common words can vary greatly.

“Modesty” is one of those words. Though it is often used in Christian circles, it is rarely defined. Styles, of course change, but is there a definition or standard for modesty that goes beyond current fashions, individual preferences or personal convictions? Is modesty merely subjective and therefore open to each woman’s interpretation? Or would God have us embrace a more objective definition of the word?

The dictionary defines modesty as being free from vanity, having regard for decency in dress. C.J. Mahaney, in speaking on the subject, defines modesty as “avoiding clothing that is revealing, extravagant, showy or sexually enticing.” In other words, we, as women, should avoid clothes that draw attention to any part of our bodies.

What should motivate a believing woman, though, to make the difficult decision to go against our world’s standards and embrace God’s heart on this issue? A couple Scriptures point us to the answer. Titus 2:4-5 directs women to be godly wives and mothers- to be self-controlled and pure SO THAT no one will malign the word of God. So that no one will defame the word of God. In other words, we behave a certain way-we dress a certain way-so that God would not be dishonored!

The passage goes on to give commands to young men and to slaves on how they should conduct themselves as followers of Christ. And at the end of the exhortations to the various groups, Paul gives the reason behind the commands...”so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.” (v.10)

I believe what these Scriptures are saying is that, among other things, we must dress modestly so that we do not distract others from Christ. We should desire to dress modestly so that our clothes do not reflect poorly upon the gospel. We should seek to be pure in every way to show the transforming work of the gospel in our lives.

No comments: