Thursday, January 10, 2008

Great book!


I just finished a book that has greatly challenged and convicted me. It's entitled The Quest for Meekness and Quietness of Spirit by Matthew Henry. (Though written by a Puritan author in the 1600s it is much more "readable" than a couple of the other Puritan books I've tried to tackle.) Before reading the book I would have been hard pressed to even give a good definition of the word "meek", but he spends 150 pages on the subject. He defines meekness as the "...quiet submission of the soul to the will of God concerning us." According to Henry, meekness teaches us to...
-patiently bear the anger of others
-to curb the tongue
-to give a soft answer
-prudently govern our own anger
-calm the spirit so that we will not be disturbed by any outward provocation

Wow! I fall so short. That's quite a high calling, yet Matthew 5 says "Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth."

No comments: