Monday, August 4, 2008

Salsa dancing



Having a teenager in our house has been, uh, ....an enlightening experience. This is all new for us. I've heard my friends talk about life with teenagers, but now I am getting a little taste of it. The phone calls, the late nights (are we supposed to wait up for him?!), the driving, the coordinating of schedules, the urgency to see friends he just saw a few hours ago, the limited vocabulary. (Roland has been working with Julien on expanding his vocabulary, however. The other night Roland told him that we did, in fact, have more than 3 adjectives in the English language... Boring, stupid, crazy about sums up life for a 16 year old kid, I guess.)
It has opened up new doors for us though, as the pictures show. Some of the exchange students and kids from Faith Bible Church decided to go Salsa dancing. I had somewhat reluctantly agreed to pick Julien up downtown at 10 pm when Matt and Lisa Dykstra called and said that they were going to be accompanying their exchange student and asked if we would go with them. Now, those of you who know us well know that Roland doesn't pass up any opportunity to dance. Me, on the other hand, well, dancing is not my idea of a good time. I don't know what it is. Perhaps I can blame it on my childhood. I was the kid who had to sit out during p.e. in seventh grade when they did a unit on square dancing. (You know what dancing leads to, don't you?) Perhaps it's the fact that I have no rythym and even struggle in aerobics class. Perhaps it's because Roland and I argue every time we dance. (What do you mean let you lead?! How am I supposed to know what you're doing?!)
Anyway, I did finally agree to go. We had our first (and probably last) salsa dancing lesson.
And yes, we argued. : )

4 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds like fun! I'm glad you were able to go together, even if there were some arguments :) I'm sure Julien had a blast! I can't say we've done anything quite so exciting around here ... playing in the kiddie pool? ;)

Michael and Jessica said...

I can understand your reluctance to go, as I would feel the same! You're a tropper LaNae! Jess

lisa d said...

lanae....you really did put our picture on! : ) if roland wants to keep on a growin' in the likeness of Christ, workin' on that good ole' sanctification thing, we'd be happy to join you again at Simply Dance...any time, really!! we would! we loved it, too!!! : )

Dick and Betty Lou said...

Your honesty makes me laugh!! You guys are venturing into alot of new areas of life. God bless you!! I'll be praying for you.